Pages

Saturday, August 27, 2011

Hanging in my hood

Saturdays are one my favorite days of the week (next to Sundays).
I slept in as usual and the only reason I even got out of bed this morning was my kite came in 6 times trying to get me up. That jerk! Okay, Okay he's not that much of a jerk!
But I was eager to get out eventually, because the only thing I had planned today was to check out OP's Farmer's market and pick up oil at Olive and Well a little mom and pop oil place in town. I ran of EV Avocado oil last week. One of my go to oils to cook with since it has the highest smoking point over EVOO, plus it adds great flavor to my dishes. Any way to get those good fats in.


I made my way to the kitchen to make an ice latte to take with me to the market. This is the my dream machine of all machines other than my crockpot. I'm beyond addicted to my espresso machine after day one and not blowing up the kitchen. Today though I finally made foam with heavy cream, SCORE! Normally my counter is just a big mess of speckled cream and there's a couple of drops left for my coffee. I didn't say I was a barista!

From Blogger

We headed to the OP Farmer's market which is just a stone's throw away from where we live. I had a taste for some peaches so I was on the lookout for some. I wanted some melon too, so we picked out some peaches, a little watermelon,and a cantaloupe. My kite also, picked up a little loaf of bread and some bacon cheddar spread. I don't normally pick up a ton of fruit. Being Paleo, fruit is more of a treat, but after 5 weeks of strawberries everywhere, it sounded like a nice change of pace. Here's a pic of our picks.





From Blogger

We then headed over to Olive and Well to pick up some oil. This place has small barrel tins throughout the store with spickets to taste the oil. I picked up a bottle of EV Avocado oil then I looked around the store looking for a second oil for salads. I found a kalamata oil that was delicious and I imagined pouring it over salads and adding kalamata olives. Sold! The oils are a little pricey. $17.95 for a 375mil bottle. But it is so so worth it. Before leaving the store I offered the owner/cashier a peach. She mentioned since working on Saturdays she doesn't get to the farmer's market. She picked out a peach and looked delighted. I love sharing (actually I hate sharing..more on that later). Here's a pic of the cute bottled oils.
From Blogger

Across the street from the store is Scollville park. My kite noticed some tents set up so we decided to check it out. It turns out it was a small event called OP's Taste of Culture. There were little vendor selling handmade items, like soap, pictures, and my favorite jewelry. I walked by a little stand that had home made wire rings for only $1. I picked up this bad boy!
From Blogger

We only had one more stop before heading home. Borders. My kite wanted to pick up some *eyes rolling from boredom* computer books. Borders is going out of business and is having 50%-70% off. I spotted this freakin' story of my life book while he was looking through what he wanted. The book was written just for me.
From Blogger

We headed home after that to eat lunch and lung our heavy basket of goods. We were both pretty hungry. After cooling off a bit, I warmed up some leftover chicken kabobs and rice for my kite. He is not Paleo.....yet. I went back into the kitchen to whip up some paleo brunch. I decided to make eggs in a basket.

I fried some leftover chicken legs that I made a few days ago in the crock pot in some bacon lard. Added some frozen spinach and cooked until the chicken had some crisp.
From Blogger

After transfering it to a plate and adding some TJ salsa. I cut up a little bit of red pepper too.
From Blogger

I then added more bacon lard and fried up a couple of eggs to place ontop.
From Blogger

Here's my plate after adding some avacado and some paleo djion mustard
From Blogger

DELCIOUS!

All in all a great day so far.
From Blogger

No comments:

Post a Comment